OKLAHOMA CITY – State Rep. Ben Sherrer has been named to a new House committee that will determine what bills will be heard on the House floor.
House Speaker T.W. Shannon, R-Lawton, appointed Sherrer to the House Calendar Committee, a bipartisan committee made up of 18 representatives, five of which are Democrats.
“I am honored that Speaker Shannon would ask me to serve on this important committee,” said Sherrer, D-Chouteau. “House Democrats were sent here by the citizens of their districts to do a job, and that job is much harder when one party has absolute and arbitrary discretion to determine what bills will be given an up or down vote by the full House of Representatives. Though the committee has a strong Republican majority, this committee at least ensures that both parties have a say in the process. In our democratic system of government, there is always one side that wins, but I think it is crucial that all sides have the opportunity to voice an opinion."
Previously, the House Majority Floor Leader had complete discretion to determine which bills that had passed out of committees would be scheduled for a hearing on the House floor. Current Majority Floor Leader Pam Peterson, R-Tulsa, is the chair of the Calendar Committee.
- State News
Okla. man says he was asked to leave Walmart because he's gay
An Oklahoma man says he was asked by a Walmart janitor to leave the store because he of his sexual orientation.
- Attorney General to investigate Rogers County allegations
- Mullin discusses govt. shutdown
- Okla. ranks 3 in women murdered
- Fallin wants to sell GRDA
- Remember the Removal Bike Ride returns
- State of emergency declared in Oklahoma
- Cherokee Nation election in June
- Students killed in Grand Lake boat accident
- Funds offered to Spavinaw citizens
- More State News Headlines
- Okla. man says he was asked to leave Walmart because he's gay