The Pryor Times

September 28, 2013

LG outlasts Sequoyah

Dekota Gregory
Times Correspondent

TAHLEQUAH, OK — After an embarrassing 58-13 loss to Tahlequah Sequoyah last season, the Pirates tasted revenge Friday night defeating Sequoyah 38-34 on the Indians’ own field to maintain a perfect record.

The win gave the Pirates (4-0, 1-0 District 3A-7) their first 4-0 start since 2006.

Locust Grove shot out of the gates, scoring on their first three possessions of the game. The game started with a Sequoyah fumble recovered by senior Charlie Briggs deep in Indian territory. The Locust offense took advantage of the great field position, capping the short scoring drive with a quarterback sneak by sophomore Mason Fine. After holding the Indians on fourth down the Pirates started with the ball on their own 35. Locust hit a wall on fourth and long, but senior Cory Rhode moved the chains with a 33-yard run. Fine ended the drive by hooking up with junior Calin Witt for a 5-yard touchdown.

On Sequoyah’s next possession, sophomore Jason Pirtle picked off a pass for the Legion of Doom’s third-straight turnover. Pirtle capitalized on his pick, catching a 32-yard touchdown pass from Fine. Fine and Pirtle connected again for the two-point conversion to give the Pirates a 24-0 lead.

Sequoyah finally answered back in the second quarter with a short TD run, but Cameron McIntire found the end zone the next drive with a 34-yard reception from Fine. The Indians scored again before heading into the locker room with Locust leading 32-12.

Sequoyah (1-3, 0-1 3A-7) gave the Pirates a scare in the second half, outscoring the Pirates 22-6. Sequoyah scored on its first possession of the half for the only score by either team in the third quarter.

McIntire seemed to have put the game out of reach with 8:42 left in the game with a 95-yard touchdown run down the sideline that put his team up 38-18. However, the Indians kept battling with a 24-yard touchdown pass less than four minutes later. After recovering an onside kick in Pirate territory, Sequoyah scored again with another big pass. The Indians converted the two-point try to make the score 38-34.

Locust failed to move the ball on their next drive and had to give it back with 1:55 on the clock. Fine pinned Sequoyah deep in its own territory with a 51-yard punt, where the Legion of Doom held the Indians to secure the victory. The buzzer sounded with the score at 38-34 and the Pirates’ on Sequoyah’s one-yard line.

Locust Grove head coach Matt Hennesy was unhappy with his team after a shaky second half.

“I’m disappointed the way we played the second half. We came out, played well the first half, we just didn’t come out and finish. We have to learn how to finish teams off. That’s part of that process, sometimes I forget that we’ve only been doing it a year together, but this is just our second year. We’re getting better, we just have to take the next step, we have to learn how to finish teams off. We had a chance to finish them off and we didn’t do it offensively or defensively,” Hennesy said.

The Pirates will return home next Friday night for homecoming and a matchup against an 0-4 Westville team. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m., homecoming festivities at 6:30.