The Pryor Times


February 24, 2014

Colcord sweeps Chouteau in district final

COLCORD, OK — When you live by the 3, sometimes you die by the 3.

In Saturday night’s game at Colcord, Chouteau died by the 3.

Colcord used an impressive inside game and kept Chouteau’s outside scorers cold, as the Hornets held on to win 40-37 and claim a Class 2A district championship.

Chouteau freshman Champ Bridges heaved a long 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have tied the game, but the shot hit the backboard and did not go in. Teammate Trenton Pierce led all scorers with 19 points.

The Wildcat 3-point shooting duo of Arlis Alsip and Champ Bridges went a combined 1-for-13 from beyond the arc (8 percent).  As a team, the Wildcats were just 3-of-20 (15 percent) from 3-point range.

With just a minute left in the game, the Wildcats (15-9) found themselves down 34-30 and without the ball. However, junior Isaac Carter stole the ball at midcourt and drove the lane for a tough layup, cutting the Colcord lead to two, 34-32. 

After the teams traded buckets, Chouteau fouled Colcord’s Cash Hayes. Hayes made one of his two free throws, giving the Hornets a 37-34 lead with 46 seconds left to play. A Conner Darnell putback with 20 seconds to go cut the Hornet lead to one, 38-37.

Chouteau sent Colcord’s Daniel Kent was sent to the free throw line on the next play, stopping the clock. Kent nailed both free throws, gibing Colcord a 40-37 lead. Pierce then got off a 3 that would have tied the game, but it bounced off the front of the rim, and Hayes was fouled on the rebound.

Hayes missed both free throws, setting up Bridges' final shot.

The Wildcats got out of the gate quickly, going up 5-0 in the opening minutes despite Carter's cold start. Carter was an uncharacteristic 0-for-4 from down low in the first quarter and finished the night 1-of-8 from the field. Colcord took advantage of the Wildcat misses and was able to take a 10-8 lead by the start of the second quarter.

The Wildcats answered in the second, outscoring Colcord 14-11 to take a 22-21 lead at the half.

In the third, both teams were ice cold shooting.  Colcord was able to get out to a 28-24 lead, but the Wildcats chipped away and were down 28-26 heading into the fourth.

The Wildcats will now play in a Class 3A regional consolation game Thursday afternoon in Tahlequah against Wister. Tip-off for the elimination game is set for 3 p.m.

Text Only | Photo Reprints