The Pryor Times


September 20, 2012

First Church of God celebrates centennial

In 1912 Grant Teter, his wife and nine other people officially established a Sunday School in the home of William King, which would evolve into First Church of God in Pryor. Brother and sister Teter were the pastors.

In 1914, the group purchased a building which had formerly housed the local newspaper, where the congregation met until 1920.

On July 4, 1920, The First Church of God had their first worship service in a building purchased from the Presbyterian Church.

Today, 100 years later, First Church of God sits on the same block where that old Presbyterian-turned-Church of God building sat.

First Church of God is a melting pot of many Christian traditions and backgrounds seeking the common purpose of a life devoted to love of God and others.  

The church has progressed in many ways from those early days, and continues to look forward to expand outreach to the community.

In 2006, acreage was purchased on the east edge of Pryor on the south side of Highway 20.  Over 30 acres await future relocation of the church.

The First Church of God will be celebrating their centennial Sept. 29 and 30 with a number of activities including a history walk-through, a heritage sing, fellowship and a possible fireworks show.

Text Only | Photo Reprints