The Pryor Times

Local News

June 21, 2014

Common voter questions answered

PRYOR, OK — The primary election is June 24. In this election voters will be casting their vote for the positions of: Mayes County Court Clerk, Mayes County Commissioner District 3, District 12 District Attorney, State Education Superin-

tendent, U.S. Senator, U.S. Representative and associate district judge.

Oklahoma is a closed primary state, meaning only registered voters of a political party may vote to select their party's nominees.

Once arriving at the designated polling location, proof of identity is required to vote.

According to the Oklahoma State Election Board, “You may show any document issued by the  U.S, State of Oklahoma, or federally recognized tribal government if it includes your name, a photograph of you, and an expiration date that is later than the election in which you are voting.” Examples include a valid Oklahoma drivers license, an Oklahoma identification card, United States passport or United States military identification.

“There are two alternatives to showing a photo identification as described. First, you may show the free voter identification card issued by the county election board as proof of identity even though it does not include a photograph. Or you may vote by provisional ballot and prove your identity by signing a sworn affidavit,” according to the state election board.

Another commonly asked question, according to the election board is, “If I don't vote in the primary election, can I still vote in the general election?”

The board website says, “Whether you do or do not vote in a primary election has no bearing on your eligibility to vote in a general election. If you are properly registered to vote, you are eligible to vote.”

Polling locations are open on election days from 7 a.m until 7 p.m. Voting locations can be found on the state election board website.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News