The Pryor Times

Local News

February 23, 2012

First-degree murder, two counts

ADAIR — Jason Norman Miller, 35, Locust Grove, told police officer Chad Nave he killed William Brizendine Brizendine, 42, Rose and Ronald Leroy Orear, 48, Locust Grove, because he thought “they was going to steal something” from him.

Miller is  facing two counts of felony murder in the first degree from an incident that took place Feb. 16. He was arraigned Wednesday in Mayes County District Court.

According to the probable cause affidavit, shortly after Miller was placed in restraints deputies Johnny Jenkins and Kenny Guess arrived on scene.

Jenkins said they cleared the residence and discovered two bodies inside.

Lt. Albert McKee said he arrived on scene and observed the body of Orear and noticed severe trauma to the head and face.

McKee said he, OSBI Agent Dennis Franchini and DA Investigator Gary Stansill interviewed Miller at the Locust Grove Police Department.

After being advised of his rights, Miller said he understood them and had nothing to hide, so he signed a Miranda waiver.

Miller told the officers that Brizendine and Orear came to his house and the three were visiting. Then Brizendine went into the kitchen and cooked some fry bread. Miller said around 4:30 a.m., Orear grabbed Miller by the shirt and told him that he was going to kill him. Miller said he grabbed an AR-15 rifle and fired two shots at Orear, believing that he hit him in the chest. Miller said Orear fell to the floor. He then shot Brizendine once somewhere in the front torso area.

 McKee asked Miller why he shot Orear twice and Brizendine only once. Miller said it was because he had only three bullets.

Miller said Brizendine started running for the back door and he hit Brizendine with the rifle and knocked him down He said Brizendine was on his stomach on the floor and Miller got on his back and took a sheath-knife from Brizendine’s belt and stabbed him three or four times in the throat.

Miller was asked why he stabbed Brizendine if he was trying to leave. Miller said that he wanted to make sure that he was dead.

Miller was then asked how he hit Brizendine with the gun. Miller said he swung it like an ax. Miller said he then went back to the dining room to make sure Orear was dead.

McKee asked Miller how he checked to make sure Orear was dead, and Miller said he kicked him and thought he was faking it, so he hit him in the face with the gun.

Miller is facing two counts of murder in the first degree with deliberate intent, a felony. He will face a preliminary sounding docket in the Mayes County Courthouse at 9 a.m. March 29. No bond has been set.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News