The Pryor Times

October 4, 2012

Waste water closed, water line closer

Managing Editor
Kathy Parker

ADAIR — The town of Adair’s new waste water treatment facility is in use and the final paperwork is being done to close out the job. One more engineering payment is owed to Dwayne Henderson in the amount of $5,157.50.

“That’s the last invoice for me,” Henderson said.

The town paid for engineering fees up front, by the Oklahoma Water Resources Board, who loaned the town money for the project, will reimburse $18,000 on those fees.

When the town gets that money back, it will be used for new water meters to be installed in town.

The water line to connect the town with Rural Water District 6 is in the ground and the town hopes to switch onto it within a month. The new line will have to be moved for road construction, but the Oklahoma Department of Transportation will absorb that cost and do the work.

Henderson ODOT has a January drop-dead date to secure right-of-ways to move the water line. Those who have not made an agreement for easement at that time will be sent to condemnation hearings.

“They’re paying $3,000 an acre,” Mayor Steve Hall said.

Town attorney Cherie Meislahn said one owner who already gave easement has had the property foreclosed. The water line is already in the easement, but for some reason the bank that foreclosed does not want it.

“Do they realize how much more valuable that property is with the line on it?” Henderson said.

Meanwhile, the town limps along using the old water system. Water loss was kept to 8 percent last month.

No pickups were made by animal control in September.

The fire department had 15 runs in September. Four firefighters are attending a vehicle extraction class. Fire Chief Craig Cooper said the department has applied for an 80/20 matching grant to purchase a repeater for communication. The cost is approximately $9,000.

No oral report was made by the police department. Attempts to acquire the written report were unsuccessful.

David Bauer of the street and alley department said he spent most of September helping Water Superintendent Scott Martin. “We’ve been fixing the clear well,” Bauer said. “The old building at the ball field is two-thirds knocked down.”

Trustees discussed several nuisance properties around town. Some have been sent letters and others will receive them in the future. Some properties have been cleaned and mowed, including 401 Lee Ave. and 202 NE Second St. Other properties which need attention include 202 E. Main St., 101 N. Cheatham St., 459 Hampton Rd., 110 N. Ross St., empty properties on West Main St., 103 Forrest St. and the empty lot on the corner of Smith and W. Main Streets.

The police department has moved to the other end of the building, changing places with the town hall meeting room. Trustees approved new carpet and tile for the meeting hall in the west end of the building at a cost of $2,878. No estimates were made for the town office, but trustees voted to tile and carpet that area at the same time.

Hall read a letter of commendation from the school board to the police department for patrolling the school zones and attending ball games. The letter was signed by school superintendent Tom Linihan.