The Pryor Times

September 27, 2013

Man faces multiple charges, probation violation

Staff Writer
Cydney Baron

PRYOR, OK — Garrett Estes is no stranger to Mayes County District Court.

Estes, Vinita, appeared for arraignment before Judge Rebecca Gore Monday. Estes has two felony cases, one filed in January and one in August.

In the January case, Estes is charged with kidnapping, domestic assault and battery, violation of a protective order and interference with an emergency telephone call. Court records state that he “forcibly seized” his ex-wife and confined her against her will. He allegedly struck her and pushed her into the car despite a protective order being in place.

When the victim listed in the case attempted to call 911, Estes forcibly took her cell phone.

The case filed in August involves two counts, possession of a controlled dangerous substance, methamphetamine and actual physical control of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. Court records show the defendant's address changed from Vinita to Pryor between the two incidents. In the first case, Estes was present in court on an application to accelerate sentencing as the state alleged he violated the terms of his probation.

Gore told Estes if he is found guilty, his charges can carry up to a life sentence. The case was set for hearing Oct.10 and Estes was ordered to be present on that date with an attorney. Per the state's recommendation, bond was set at $75,000 in this case.

For a failure to appear in court, Estes is ordered to appear on the preliminary hearing sounding docket Nov. 14 and bond is set at $30,000.

Estes appeared in court Tuesday with a misdemeanor charge of obstructing an officer and resisting an officer. Estes initially entered a plea of no contest, but upon being advised that he could begin serving time in jail immediately changed his plea to not guilty. This case was set for Dec. 6. Representing the state of Oklahoma Assistant District Attorney  Marny Hill  explained that Estes “disappeared” during a previous case and failed to appear. For that reason she recommended, and the court granted, a bond of $10,000 on the misdemeanor charge.