The Pryor Times


January 9, 2014

Foreign investors must report land holdings

PRYOR, OK — Pryor Times

PRYOR — Foreign investors with an interest in agricultural lands in the United States are required to report their holdings and any transactions to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, according to Brian Hisey, Executive Director of the Mayes County Farm Service Agency.

“Any foreign person who acquires or transfers any interest, other than a security interest, in agricultural land in the United States is required by law to report the transaction no later than 90 days after the date of the transaction,” said Hisey.

Foreign investors must file Agricultural Foreign Investment Disclosure Act (AFIDA) reports with the Farm Service Agency County Office that maintains reports for the county where the land is located.

“Failure to file a report, filing a late report or filing an inaccurate report can result in a penalty with fines up to 25 percent of the fair market value of the agricultural land,” said Hisey.

For AFIDA purposes, agricultural land is defined as any land used for farming, ranching or timber production, if the tracts total 10 acres or more.

Disclosure reports are also required when there are changes in land use. For example, reports are required when land use changes from nonagricultural to agricultural or from agricultural to nonagricultural.

For more information regarding AFIDA and FSA programs, contact the Mayes County FSA office at 918-825-3673 or visit the USDA website at

Text Only | Photo Reprints